Answers to Practice Test 5
Note: These questions are representative of the types of questions you can expect on the test.
The actual test will be longer, typically between 20-40 questions.
You will need to bring a SCANTRON answer sheet to each test.
1. What is the wavelength of radiation with a frequency of 2.10 x 1014 s-1?
a. 6.30 x 1022 m
b. 7.00 x 102 m
c. 7.00 x 105 m
d. 1.43 x 10-6 m
e. 3.00 x 108 m
2. What is the energy in joules of a mole of photons associated with red light of
wavelength 7.00 x 102 nm
a. 256 kJ
b. 1.71 x 105 J
c. 4.72 x 10-43 J
d. 12.4 kJ
e. 2.12 x 1042 J
3. Calculate the wavelength in nanometers of the light emitted by a hydrogen atom when its electron falls from the n=7 to the n=4 principle energy level
a. 4.45 x 10-20 nm
b. 2.7 x 10-6 nm
c. 9.18 x10-20 nm
d. 1.38 x 1014 nm
e. 2.17 x 103 nm
4. The number of orbitals in a p subshell is:
5. Which element has the following electron configuration? [Kr]5s24d105p2
6. Lanthanide or rare earth elements have atoms or ions with partially filled:
a. s subshells
b. p subshells
c. d subshells
d. f subshells
e. g subshells
7. Which one of the following is a transition element?
8. How many valence electrons does a tin (Sn) atom have?
9. What is the charge on the simple ion formed by selenium?
10. Which of the following is NOT isoelectronic with Kr?
11. Which atom has the largest radius?
12. Which element will have the lowest ionization energy?
13. Which of the following elements has the greatest metallic character?
14. Which of the following is a basic oxide?
15. Which of the folowing elements behaves chemically similar to potassium?
Check your answers