Practice Test 1
Note: These questions are representative of the types of questions you can expect on the test.
The actual test will be longer, typically between 20-40 questions.
You will need to bring a SCANTRON answer sheet to each test.
1. Which of the following liquids would make a good solvent for iodine, I2?
2. Calculate the molality of a solution containing 14.3 g of NaCl in 42.2 g of water
a. 2.45 x 10-4 m
b. 5.80 x 10-4 m
c. 2.45 x 10-1 m
d. 5.79 m
e. 103 m
3. The solubility of CO2 gas in water:
a. increases with increasing temperature
b. decreases with decreasing temperature
c. decreases with increasing temperature
d. is not dependent on temperature
4. Calculate the freezing point of a solution made from 22.0 g of octane (C8H18) dissolved in 148.0.g of benzene. Benzene freezes at 5.50 oC and its Kf value is 5.12 oC/m
a. - 1.16 oC
b. - 0.98 oC
c. 6.66 oC
d. 12.2 oC
e. 5.49 oC
5. A solution that contains 55.0 g ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in 250 g of water freezes at - 2.34 oC. Calculate the molar mass (g/mol) of the solute.
Kf (water) = 1.86 oC/m
6. Calculate the mole fraction of ethanol (CH3CH2OH, molar mass = 46.0 g/mol) in a solution that contains 46 g of ethanol and 64 g of methanol (CH3OH)
7. The general formula of an alkane is
8. Which of the following molecules is unsaturated?
9. How many structural isomers are there of C4H10?
10. The following two molecules are examples of what?
CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 and CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-OH
d. carboxylic acids
e. unsaturated hydrocarbons
11. Which of the following is the formula for an ether?
12. Which type of organic group does not contain a carbonyl group?
b. carboxylic acids
13. Which is the most likely main product of the reaction of one mole of HCl wth one mole of CH3-CH2-CH=CH2
14. Which is an organic compound containing the -NH2 group?
b. citric acid
15. Which functional group tends to confer acidic properties upon an organic substance?
16. What is the systematic name for the following compound?
c. di-2- chlorobutane
17. The correct structure for 2,3,3-trimethylpentane is
Check your answers